LeanModel Start-up Competition
Open to Students from Four-Year Universities GLOBALLY.
San Diego State University (SDSU) and the Lavin Entrepreneurship Center are thrilled to announce the 3rd annual LeanModel Competition hosted on Friday March 6th and Saturday March 7th, 2015 on the SDSU campus. The LeanModel™ Competition is not a traditional business plan competition and is designed to assist and reward student based start-ups that utilize the business model canvas.
2014 1st place team- SpyneTech, SDSU
In the true world of the entrepreneurial start-up, it is not the business plan that leads to success. An oft-quoted term from venture capitalists is that, "As soon as the business plan is written, it is obsolete." We believe that early on, the start-up must move quickly to prototype and test their product or service and that customer interaction is critical. Too often, teams focus on writing a business plan and never actually interact with their target customers.
The LeanModel Competition rewards students for identifying and defining assumptions, testing those assumptions in the marketplace, and then pivoting their business model based on customer interactions. Unfamiliar with the business model canvas? Check out "Business Model Generation" by Alexander Osterwalder.
2015 Competition Details:
- Date: March 6th & 7th, 2015
- Location: San Diego State University campus
- Open to: Domestic and International students enrolled in a four-year university
- September 1st, 2014: Application Opens
- November 17th, 2014: Registration due by 11:59pm, click here for Registration Form
- December 2nd, 2014: Multi-media submissions are due by 11:59pm
- January 15th, 2015: Semi-finalists announced on the Lavin Entrepreneurship Center website
This new competition was influenced by Lean Start-up (Eric Ries) and Business Model Generation (Alex Osterwalder, Yves Pigneur). If you have questions regarding this competition or want
to compete please contact Madisyn Prior at email@example.com or call the Lavin Center at
This event is supported in part of Platinum Level Sponsor, Torrey Pines Bank and Gold Level Sponsor, Union Bank.