The Lavin VentureStart Competition
Uniting Entrepreneurs at SDSU
The Lavin VentureStart Competition is designed to unify multidisciplinary students whose talents, ideas, and energy may operate tomorrow’s leading firms. Our goal at the Lavin Entrepreneurship Center is to identify and nurture outstanding teams of student entrepreneurs who are able to develop a business model canvas that showcases the new venture’s ability to pivot in response to customer input and interaction. This business model competition cultivates ideas around lean startup and business model development to reward SDSU students for innovative ideation.
Students who participate will attend two VentureStart workshops throughout the competition to prepare for the final business model submissions. The competitors will then submit a business model canvas based on their ideas. Four to five teams are selected to compete in the Lavin VentureStart Competition Finals and present their business ideas to a panel of entrepreneur judges. The first, second, and third place winners receive a total of $900 in-cash awards.
The Lavin Center will provide teams who enter The Lavin VentureStart Competition with valuable resources in the following areas crucial to successful entrepreneurship:
- Networks of world-class entrepreneurs, investors, and potential partners
- Mentorship by successful and seasoned professionals
- Education on the Business Model Canvas as well as entrepreneurial insight
- Content-rich feedback on their business model from world class entrepreneurs, investors, professors and professional service providers on our Judging Panel
- Team building opportunities to create a winning team of founders
Students from all seven (7) colleges at SDSU at the undergraduate and graduate levels may enter the Lavin VentureStart Competition. Multi-disciplinary teams that combine members from technical disciplines with members from the business school may prove to create the most successful competitors.
Contact Bernhard Schroeder at [email protected] for more information.
- Workshop #1: Information, Ideation, and Trendspotting
- This workshop is to stimulate new company proposals using the business canvas to map out your initial ideas.
- Workshop #2: Business Model Iteration
- This workshop builds upon the first in teaching how to develop a strong business model. You will learn how to incorporate consumer interactions and pivot in response to them. In addition, you will receive feedback on your initial business canvas and suggestions for how to prepare for final submissions for the competition.
- Business Model Canvas Due in Lavin Entrepreneurship Center
- Finalists announced on the Lavin Entrepreneurship Center Website
- VentureStart Competition Finals
- Teams chosen to compete will present their idea to a panel of successful entrepreneurs for the chance to win $900 in cash prizes!
- As beneficial as this experience will be for students who participate, we also provide
in cash awards to the top three teams. The winning teams receive the following:
- 1st Place: Lavin VentureStart Competition Trophy, Group Award, $500 in cash
- 2nd Place: Group Award, $250 in cash
- 3rd Place: Group Award, $150 in cash
- As beneficial as this experience will be for students who participate, we also provide in cash awards to the top three teams. The winning teams receive the following:
- Submission of Entries
- You must drop off a hard-copy of your submission to the Lavin Entrepreneurship Center to submit your entry.
- Entries must be received on time and in the appropriate format.
- Late or incorrect submissions will not be accepted
- Submissions must include a Business Model Canvas & Cover Page. Please fill out, print, and turn in both documents to the Lavin Entrepreneurship Center.
- Submissions must be entered in teams
- (minimum of two students, maximum of five)
- Each team must be comprised of current SDSU students (undergraduate or graduate)
- Entries must be the original work of entrants
- Teams that have already secured capital from any source are not eligible
- The Lavin Center Judging Panel reserves the right to disqualify any entry
- Teams representing at least two different colleges within SDSU are recommended but not required.
All full-time and part-time SDSU students at all levels of education and from any departments, registered in the current semester of the Lavin VentureStart Competition, are eligible to enter. Teams are encouraged to seek the involvement of SDSU faculty, alumni, postdoctoral, researchers, staff, and students from other schools and colleges.
Entries must be the original work of entrants and must be entered by a multi-student team(minimum of two students, maximum of five) . By submitting an executive summary, you represent and warrant to The Lavin VentureStart Competition that you have all rights, titles and/or interests in the executive summary submitted and the information it contains is accurate and complete, and that by submitting the document to The Lavin VentureStart Competition you are not and will not be violating any contract or third party rights including any patent, copyright, trade secret, proprietary or confidential information, trademark, publicity or privacy right.
The Judging Panel of The Lavin VentureStart Competition reserves the right to disqualify any entry that in its judgment violates the letter or the spirit of the Competition guidelines, processes and rules of The Lavin VentureStart Competition and its decisions are final and binding.
Access to submitted executive summaries is only granted by Lavin Entrepreneurship Center organizers to the members of its judging panel. The Lavin Center and the Judging team members are the only other individuals who may be provided with the submitted executive summaries. Reasonable steps are taken to limit access to the submitted executive summaries.
The judges of The Lavin VentureStart Competition are venture capitalists, entrepreneurs, professors and lawyers who deal with confidential material on a regular basis. There will be no confidentiality obligation by any recipient of your summary for information which: (a) is publicly available prior to the time of its disclosure to the Competition or becomes publicly available thereafter through no wrongful act of the recipient, or (b) was known to the recipient prior to the date of disclosure or becomes known to the recipient thereafter from a third party having an apparent bona fide right to disclose the information, or (c) is disclosed by recipient in accordance with your approval, or (d) is disclosed by you or any member of your team without restriction on further disclosure, or (e) is independently developed by a recipient; or (f) the recipient is obligated to disclose to comply with applicable laws or regulations, or with a court or administrative order.
Before submitting your executive summary, The Lavin VentureStart Competition urges you to confirm with appropriate advisors or legal counsel that any intellectual property described in your summary is protected; (i.e., by appropriate intellectual property filings, notices, patent, copyright, etc.) by the owning institution and/or individuals. We also recommend that you determine in advance whether your summary describes a technology, invention, copyrightable work or other intellectual property owned by SDSU in accordance with SDSU Policy. The Tech Transfer Office is available to answer your questions.
If you are not sure about the legal status of your own or third party intellectual property or any other aspect of your plan, The Lavin VentureStart Competition urges you to seek independent legal counsel.
- Minimize cost to maximize learning
- Identification of opportunities validated through hypothesis testing
- Product/service prototype ideation and development
- Customer interaction
- Pivot in response to customer interaction
SDSU MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND CONCERNING THE SDSU LAVIN VENTURESTART COMPETITION EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. IN NO EVENT SHALL SDSU, ITS TRUSTEES, DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, STUDENTS, THE SDSU LAVIN VENTURESTART COMPETITION JUDGES AND MENTORS, AND AFFILIATES BE LIABLE FOR ANY ADVICE, INFORMATION OR DECISIONS MADE FOR OR ON BEHALF OF THE SDSU VENTURESTART COMPETITION, OR FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING ECONOMIC DAMAGES OR INJURY TO PROPERTY AND LOST PROFITS, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER SDSU SHALL BE ADVISED, SHALL HAVE OTHER REASON TO KNOW OR IN FACT SHALL KNOW OF THE POSSIBILITY OF THE FOREGOING.
- THE VENTURESTART SPRING 2016 WINNERS
- 1st place: Tranquili Tea
- 2nd place: Lao Links
- 3rd place: Millennia
- THE VENTURESTART FALL 2015 WINNERS
- 1st place: ToolD
- 2nd place: Laser Clean
- 3rd place: Park It Market
- THE VENTURESTART SPRING 2015 WINNERS
- 1st place: Aroma Balm
- 2nd place: Restoar
- 3rd place: Go Ryder
- THE VENTURESTART FALL 2014 WINNERS
- 1st place: Hype Audio
- 2nd place: Wanderlust
- 3rd place: Kibble Kick
- THE VENTURESTART SPRING 2014 WINNERS
- 1st place: Hepcat Instruments
- 2nd place: Broccoli Bites
- 3rd place: Cutting Edge Innovations
- THE VENTURESTART FALL 2013 WINNERS
- 1st place: Impaktiv
- 2nd place: Tug Tamer Leashes
- 3rd place: Crowd District
- THE VENTURESTART SPRING 2013 WINNERS
- 1st place: Spyne Tech
- 2nd place: Himalayan Coffee
- 3rd place: Fit Food
- THE VENTURESTART FALL 2012 WINNERS
- 1st place: Epsilon Micro Devices
- 2nd place: FindCart
- 3rd place: EDUswap
- THE VENTURESTART SPRING 2012 WINNERS
- 1st place: Aspire Innovations
- 2nd place: Student Cloud
- 3rd place: Choco ART
- THE VENTURESTART FALL 2011 WINNERS
- 1st place: Mobile Network Innovations, Inc.
- 2nd place: Moquility Inc.
- 3rd place: FriendChip's
- THE VENTURESTART SPRING 2011 WINNERS
- 1st place: Genosistant
- 2nd place: Secret Weapon Trucks
- 3rd place: SoshMap
- THE VENTURESTART FALL 2010 WINNERS
- 1st place: Tip Network
- 2nd place: Elltrio
- 3rd place: DrawParts
- THE VENTURESTART SPRING 2010 WINNERS
- 1st place: Moto-Media
- 2nd place: LosingBid.com
- 3rd place: One for San Diego
- THE VENTURESTART FALL 2009 WINNERS
- 1st place: SMBC: Social Media Background Check
- 2nd place: IWAI: IWantAnInternship.com
- 3rd place: Good Thrill
- THE VENTURESTART SPRING 2009 WINNERS
- 1st Place: Fourth Estate Mobile
- 2nd Place: The SkateSpot.com
- 3rd Place: Mana Butter