International Entrepreneurial Experience
The International Entrepreneurial Experience provides students with the opportunity to gain exposure to different entrepreneurial and cultural environments. This unique blend of coursework and experiential component is open to all students across the SDSU campus; all disciplines are welcome and encouraged to apply.
The different courses offered are innovative 3-unit, faculty-led immersive experiences designed to provide students with an understanding of the basic concepts of entrepreneurship, feasibility analysis, and international ventures. Students earn valuable hands-on experience and develop core entrepreneurial competencies in the context of an international economy in a short time period.
Upon completion, students are expected to have developed a key set of skills that will allow them to do the following:
- Define entrepreneurial opportunities and understand why such opportunities exist
- Understand and explain the seven domains of the new business road test
- Explain why entrepreneurship can arise out of the intersection of enterprising people, markets, industries, and trends
- Rationalize why entrepreneurs need to perform due diligence and understand trends before launching a new venture
- Identify the basic tools necessary to forecast size of markets, industries, and market segments
- Define real customer need and understand why an entrepreneur should seek to develop a product or service that meets an actual need
- Describe how entrepreneurs can create proprietary advantages and barriers to entry for possible competitors
Students are able to achieve these goals through a diverse set of curriculum-based and experiential course requirements. Depending on the study abroad experience selected, students are expected to complete a number of in-class activities, such as case studies and group projects designed to analyze a business opportunity, while outside the classroom they have the opportunity to meet and interact with local entrepreneurs to provide them with insight into the entrepreneurial mindset.
If you are interested in participating in a future cohort, contact Bernhard Schroeder at email@example.com for further information about the enrollment process, cost, and planning for travel, or visit the San Diego State University Study Abroad page on the College of Extended Studies website for more information about all international course offerings.